Learning Interculturalism Through Employment (LITE)
LITE is a unique program that teaches employment skills and intercultural awareness to Indigenous and Newcomer youth (ages 18-30) in Saskatoon. This super neat program not only connects Newcomer and Indigenous youth to the workplace but also builds an appreciation for diversity and acceptance for all.
LITE has three main parts:
- Employment Training – 8-week class on resume and cover letter writing, job search techniques, and job interview practice.
- Intercultural Training – Canadian and Indigenous history, anti-racism, and anti-oppressive education.
- Work Experience – 12-week work placement.
LITE’s program goals:
- Connect Indigenous and Newcomer youth to employment, each other and the community;
- Develop professional skills and certification (First Aid/ CPR C, Service Best, WHMIS, & Food Safety);
- Increase confidence to attain/maintain employment;
- Find an appreciation for diversity and acceptance; and
- Gain work experience through volunteer opportunities.
To apply, you must be/have:
- Indigenous person (First Nations, Metis or Inuit) or Newcomer (Canadian Citizen, PR or Refugee);
- Legally able to work in Canada;
- Between the ages of 18 and 30;
- Out of school and ready to work;
- In need of assistance to overcome employment barriers; and
- Little to no work experience and education levels.
LITE has five intakes through to 2023. Information sessions are held a month before the start date.
The intake start dates are below.
|May 17, 2021||September 20, 2021||January 31, 2022||June 6, 2022||October 3, 2022|
If you are interested in participating in the LITE program, please fill out the online registration form below.