Saskatoon Multilingual Schools
Saskatoon Multilingual Schools (SMS) is one of Saskatchewan Intercultural Association’s longest ongoing programs. Established in 1983 through co-operation with the Catholic School Board, the program now includes over 1500 students and 150 teachers.
Since 1988, the Saskatoon Public School Board has provided space at Aden Bowman Collegiate, Walter Murray Collegiate, Mount Royal Collegiate, Bedford Road Collegiate, and Evan Hardy Collegiate. Other classes run at the College of Education building and in Private homes.
The Language classes are available for anyone who is interested in learning a new or heritage language. Evening and weekend classes are held for children and adults in 26 different languages by 33 language schools.
High school credit classes are offered in the following languages: German, Mandarin, Polish, and Spanish.
Saskatoon Multilingual Schools Events:
The Language Schools annually perform in a Choral Festival in February and on July 1st for Canada Day Celebrations.
Some Schools participate in Saskatoon’s Folkfest events as well as put on their own events for the public.
Why Study a Heritage Language?
- Develop general learning and thinking abilities.
- Attain the skills needed to explore your heritage and therefore develop personal identity.
- Gain the means to bridge the language barriers which often isolate Canadian children from their parents or grandparents.
- Learn marketable skills resulting in increased opportunities for future employment and entrepreneurial ventures as Canada looks to expand international trade.
- Become a valuable asset to Canada’s multicultural mosaic.
Saskatoon Multilingual Schools provides information
on how to:
- Begin taking language classes
- Start your own Language School
- Be a Coordinator of a Language School
Saskatoon Multilingual Schools – Language Schools
The Saskatoon Multilingual Schools Program is comprised of the following Language Schools:
- Marifa Language School
- Saskatoon Arabic Language & Heritage School
- Al Manahil Language School
- Saskatoon Bangla Academy
- Bangla Heritage Language School
- Bright Horizon Chinese Language School
- Heritage Chinese Language School
- Saskatoon Chinese Language School
- Maihan Language School
- Eritrean Language School
- Filipino Heritage Language School (Filipino parent-Teachers Association Of Saskatoon, Inc.)
- German Language School
- Greek Language School
- Hungarian Society of Saskatoon
- Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann (Association of Irish Musicians)
- Saskatoon Japanese Language School
- Saskatoon Korean Language School
- Saskatoon Latin School
- Nepali Language School
- Saskatoon Norwegian School
- Oromo Language School
- Saskatoon Polish School
- Brasinha Portuguese Language School – Escola de Português Brasinha
- Punjabi School
- Saskatoon Russian Language School
- Serbian Language School
- Sinhala Language School
- Somali Language School (Taleeh School)
- Latin America Spanish School
- Salvador Allende Spanish School
- Spanish School Of Saskatoon (Escuela Hispanica Spanish School)
- Sudanese Language School
- Urdu Language School of Saskatoon
- Qoyash Uzbek language School
- Vietnamese Language School
- Yoruba Language School
For more information about the Saskatoon Multilingual Schools program, please contact:
Ryan Palik, Saskatoon Multilingual Schools Coordinator
(306) 978-1818, Ext: 214 or email@example.com